Wednesday, March 4, 2020
8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill
400 New Jersey Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001
National Network for Youth (NN4Y) has teamed up with the McCain Institute for International Leadership to offer two distinct Certificates on Human Trafficking (CHT). These Certificates are designed for direct service providers working at runaway and homeless youth programs. After participating in each course, and successfully completing post-tests on the material presented, participants will earn a Certificate indicating that they have successfully completed the training.
Guiding the content of these CHTs are an advisory group of leading researchers, and experts on human trafficking, youth homelessness, and child welfare.
Are These Certificates Right for Me?
Yes! This series of training programs on human trafficking are designed to train multi-level experienced providers from executive leadership to program managers, outreach coordinators and case managers. We know that many young people experiencing homelessness are at-risk of being or have already experienced some form of human trafficking. As tireless advocates and allies for these young people, you can make a difference in the lives of these young people when you are able to identify survivors of human trafficking and connect them to appropriate services and when you are able to help prevent the trafficking of the youth you serve.
CHT Course Descriptions
FOUNDATIONS on HUMAN TRAFFICKING
This is the first in the series of training programs on human trafficking. All RHY professionals should consider enrolling in this certificate program. The six hours of live training covers the following topics:
- Trafficking Definitions and Relevant Laws
- Trafficking Myths & Biases, Identification
- Addressing Trafficking Trauma and Its Impacts
- Building Relationships with Youth and Case Management
- Accessing Additional Resources and Meeting Your Professional Obligations
- Responding to Local Variations and Putting Training into Action
PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS: SCREENING, RESPONSE, and TRAUMA
This is the second in the series of training programs on human trafficking. Taking the Foundations on Human Trafficking course is required before enrolling in this course. The six hours of live training covers the following topics:
- How to screen youth clients for experiences of sex and/or labor trafficking
- How to assess the needs of your trafficked youth clients
- How to appropriately serve youth who have been trafficked
- Understanding the science of trauma and its impact on your clients
- Helping staff cope with secondary trauma
Each CHT will consist of 6 hours of live training, including visual aids, interactive/group activities, handouts and post-tests. The program will be presented as a full day training (with appropriate breaks and breakfast and lunch provided) as an optional add-on to NN4Y’s Annual National Summit on Youth Homelessness on March 2-3, 2020.
*Must be present for entire six hours to receive certificate.