The National Network for Youth (NN4Y), a national non-partisan public education and advocacy organization, is seeking a talented and driven individual to be our Director of Community Strategies. This position is a full-time salary position with benefits and will report directly to the Executive Director. The Director of Community Strategies must be creative and enjoy working within a small, entrepreneurial environment that is mission and results driven. Applicants from any location in the United States will be considered and if not located in the DC area, this position can work remotely.
The Director of Community Strategies works to establish community wide collaboratives to transform the way systems, programs and community stakeholders work to reduce the number of young people at-risk of and experiencing homelessness. This position manages the creation and implementation of community cross-system collaboratives. The Director of Community Strategies will be responsible for the successful establishment, management and flourishing of the community collaboratives that we will invest in over the long-term.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations and possess strong facilitation, written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills. The Director of Community Strategies needs to be adept at maintaining a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Director of Community Strategies must also have experience in building strong relationships with external partners and bringing diverse stakeholders together to accomplish big, long-term goals. Further, we are seeking an individual who enjoys and is able to travel, is an excellent public speaker and has a background in systems change work in communities.
The National Network for Youth is committed to developing a diverse and dynamic team and strongly encourages applications from people of color, individuals with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and young people.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and implement a national strategic plan to increase the effectiveness of communities working to collaboratively reduce the number of youth who are at-risk of or experience homelessness through launching local cross-system collaboratives
- Engage deeply with local communities, learning their challenges and goals and helping develop and implement responsive, collaborative strategies.
- Research existing strategies to prevent and end youth homelessness, adapt them to community collaboratives, and work with communities to develop innovative, new strategies to meet the needs of communities.
- Build strategic community collaboratives with key stakeholders in each community by developing relationships and facilitating the growth and success of community collaboratives
- Collaborate with the NN4Y team to strategize, execute, support and elevate the community collaboratives that are launched. This includes ensuring the coordination and alignment of work with NN4Y’s strategic plan, ongoing projects and key partners
- Develop and implement evaluation criteria for the purpose of measuring a community’s success in achieving its goals
- Create template materials communities can use to establish their cross-system collaborative, such as invitation letters, initiative descriptions, criteria lists, press releases, how-to handbooks, best practice fact sheets, etc.
- Provide regular status reports to the Executive Director and participate in weekly team meetings
- Participate in other national, regional and local initiatives to learn what others are doing and share about the NN4Y’s work and the work of our members
- Ensure appropriate and responsive follow-up and accountability with stakeholders in community collaboratives
- Write reports, blog post and newsletter summaries about the work of the collaboratives, resources developed and availability
- Create the structure and content for a national network of community collaboratives who learn from each other, problem solve together, and share resources
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least five years of experience working on group projects with youth and/or young adults
- At least five years of experience in overseeing and managing a project budget
- At least five years of experience in managing multiple projects and developing strategies to accomplish established community goals
- Project management, including developing reports and assessments.
- Is experienced in developing and implementing evaluation criteria for the purpose of measuring a community’s success in achieving its goals
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of the internal and external environment of conditions that pertain to community outreach.
- Public speaking, group facilitation, and strong organizational skills are essential
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with many different stakeholders, including youth, staff, board members, external partners, and donors
- Ability to self-organize, pay attention to detail, and manage multiple projects at the same time
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Emotional maturity
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications and partnership development
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Must be willing to work weekends as required
- Adept at developing and giving presentations that tell an organization’s story; writing talking points, position papers and compelling text to effectively engage multiple stakeholders
- Communicating and engaging with a wide range of individuals and stakeholders in a diverse community.
- Knowledge and understanding of the legislative process with experience in policy advocacy is preferred but not required
- Master’s degree
- Experience in the field of youth homelessness
- Experience in tracking partnerships and assessing their value and effectiveness
$65,000 to $70,000 + benefits
Submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 22nd. Use the subject line: Director of Community Strategies Application.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we ask that you please do not call or email to check on the status of your application. We will only contact those selected for an interview. If you do not hear from us, that means you were not selected for an interview.
We appreciate your interest in joining the National Network for Youth team.