POLICY ACTION REQUIRED – Senate
The U.S. House and Senate are setting federal spending levels for FY 2015 and we need your help!
REACH OUT TO YOUR U.S. SENATORS TODAY
Deadline to Get U.S. Senators to Sign on: Noon on THURSDAY – 4/3/14
The U.S. Senate has a Dear Colleague letter circulating that is asking U.S. Senators to sign a letter to the U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee that is requesting:
“The President’s Budget requested $116 million for RHYA and $65 million for EHCY. We believe that appropriations of at least those amounts are necessary, and we further urge you to consider funding beyond the President’s request. In addition, the President’s request for RHYA included $2 million to conduct a prevalence study. We support this request. Better data on youth homelessness are crucial to understanding this issue and improving how program funds are directed.”
Once you have convinced both of your U.S. Senators to sign on to this letter (or if they have any questions) they will want to know which specific congressional staff to contact. They can contact either of the following staff so be sure to provide the following contact information:
- Matt Hayward in Senator Franken’s office (202-224-1984) or
- Jackie Parker in Senator Levin’s office (202-224-6221).
- Call both of your U.S. Senators TODAY! Ask to speak to the person who handles homeless children and youth issues (HHS). You can reach your Members’ offices using the Congressional Switchboard at 202.224.3121.
- Ask your U.S. Senators to sign on to the Dear Colleague that is asking for increased funding for the Runaway and Homeless Youth Act (RHYA) and the McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) program.
- Let us know who you called and what sort of response you received! Email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell her who you spoke to and what they said.