POLICY ACTION REQUIRED
REACH OUT TO YOUR HOUSE REPRESENTATIVE(S) TODAY
The House and Senate are setting funding levels for federal spending levels for FY 2015 and we need your help! The House has a bipartisan Dear Colleague letter circulating that is asking Members of the U.S. House of Representatives to sign a letter to the House Appropriations Committee that is requesting:
“We ask you to join us in requesting that the Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies allocate sufficient funding to support to the Runaway and Homeless Youth Act (RHYA) program, administered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and the McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) program, administered by the U.S. Department of Education….”
Once you have convinced your House Representative(s) to sign on this letter (or if they have any questions) they will want to know which specific congressional staff to contact. They can contact either of the following staff so be sure to provide the following contact information:
- Jill Hunter-Williams with Rep. Davis (Jill.Hunter-Williams@mail.house.gov; (202) 225-5006);
- Natalie Kamphaus with Rep. Reichert (Natalie.Kamphaus@mail.house.gov; (202) 225-7761); or
- Marisa Wittebort with Rep. Yarmuth (Marisa.Wittebort@mail.house.gov; (202) 225-5401).
- Ask your representative to sign on to the Dear Colleague that is asking for sufficient funding for the Runaway and Homeless Youth Act (RHYA) and the McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) program.
- Call your U.S. House Representative(s) TODAY! Ask to speak to the person who handles homeless children and youth issues (HHS). You can reach your Members’ offices using the Congressional Switchboard at 202.224.3121.
- Be sure to talk about how this federal money is making a local impact in their district
- You can use this FACT SHEET for talking points to help you make your case.
- Let us know who you called and what sort of response you received! Email email@example.com and tell her who you spoke to and what they said.
There will be a Senate Dear Colleague circulating soon. Once it is finalized you will receive a similar Policy Action Alert asking you to reach out to both of your Senators and ask them to sign on to the Senate Dear Colleague for FY 2015 appropriations for RHYA and EHCY.